He was sent by the royalty of Spain to find gold in Asia. Instead, he found the Bahamas, which is not gold, but still pretty awesome. Well, tomorrow is Columbus Day, so let’s dig a little deeper into how Columbus did his tricks…
His crew consisted of three ships full of Popeyes, and the first person to spot land was supposed to win a yearly boat-load of Spanish moolah for life. Some nobody named Rodrigo supposedly spotted the beach first, but screw that guy. Columbus just said that he already saw it last night, and claimed the prize. Teamwork!
STEP 1: BE SELFISH
In order to lead your team to victory, you must look out for yourself first and foremost. If you are not taken care of, then how can you take care of anyone else? Be the CEO that makes 3000 times as much as everyone in the company combined. Feed those dogs your scraps. Or don’t feed them at all! They’ll live. (or die)
When Columbus and his miscreant goons arrived at the island, the natives awed at his giant wooden boat (not a euphemism) and welcomed his crew with open arms and free gifts. Columbus thought it was hilarious that they had no weapons, and decided that it would be a piece of cake to turn them all into servants.
From 1810 to 1818 the United States actively sought to acquire Spanish Florida as U.S. territory. Several attempts by various adventurous characters were made and since mostly forgotten. The most successful attempts to steal Florida from Spain were conducted by Andrew Jackson in 1814 and 1818. The least-known attempt to take Florida was conducted by Major Uriah Blue in late 1814 and early 1815.
andrew Jackson from an engraving done in France in 1817.
He was very popular with the French after the Battle of New Orleans.
(Note: One of the Muskogee traditions is to spell Andrew Jackson with lower case letters: andrew jackson).
General Andrew Jackson took over Pensacola on November 7, 1814. He soon left to meet the British at New Orleans for the battle that would make him famous. jackson left Major Uriah Blue in Florida to be his rear guard, and to attack Red Sticks that had escaped Jackson’s wrath at Horseshoe Bend. Blue’s regiment of around 1000 troops included a large number of friendly Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw Scouts; and the famous frontiersman David Crockett.
This is a reminiscence from George McCall about 1830, in his book, Letters from the Frontiers. Note: Cropping of ears once was a common punishment for marital infidelity.
There was another instance that had previously occurred at this same town of Choko-chattee, of a different character but evincing the determined purpose of the Seminole mind. An Indian, named Beaver, had taken a female orphan child some fifteen years ago and reared it with a parent’s solicitude.
And now as his reward, he proposed to take his protegee to wife. But his hope and expectation of bliss were brief: within a month of the time appointed for the marriage ceremony, a young brave ran off with his betrothed. Before two moons had passed, the youth imprudently brought his stolen treasure back to Choko-chatee.
Unluckily for him, Beaver was at home, and immediately made known the fact of his return to the chief, Alligator. The latter immediately assembled his council. The accused was tried, found guilty, and sentenced to have the law enforced upon him. The law for this offense is “to be flogged till senseless, and to lose his ears.”
Although the first land purchases were transacted in 1681, shortly after William Penn received the charter from King Charles II, the first buildings did not appear in the forested valley until 1700, now known as the Downingtown Log House. In 1716, Thomas Moore established “a water corn mill” and in 1739, Roger Hunt erected a grist mill. During the 18th century, the hamlet acquired the colloquial name of Milltown or sometimes Downings’ Town.
Travel between Philadelphia and Lancaster was a two journey via stagecoach. Since Milltown was the halfway point, several inns were established: The Ship Inn, circa 1730; the King-in-Armes, later known the Washington Inn, in 1761; The Half-Way House in 1790; and The Swan Hotel in 1800.
The Historical Society of Bellport-Brookhaven is a nonprofit local organization in Long Island, New York, that is devoted to preserving and interpreting the important historical past of Long Island in general and the Bellport, Brookhaven, and East Patchogue region in particular.
In this article, we take a closer look at Bellport-Brookhaven’s history and the Historical Society while in other posts on this website, we’ll review and highlight other important moments, locations, and events in the rich history and cultural heritage of the United States.
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society is pursuing its important quest through the organization’s museum with its fine collections and exhibitions, the historic house where they are located, exchange shop, educational programs, publishing historically important material, and outreach programs to engage the local community. Continue reading “Review of The Historical Society of Bellport-Brookhaven”