The Historical Society of Bellport-Brookhaven is a nonprofit local organization in Long Island, New York, that is devoted to preserving and interpreting the important historical past of Long Island in general and the Bellport, Brookhaven, and East Patchogue region in particular.
In this article, we take a closer look at Bellport-Brookhaven’s history and the Historical Society while in other posts on this website, we’ll review and highlight other important moments, locations, and events in the rich history and cultural heritage of the United States.
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society is pursuing its important quest through the organization’s museum with its fine collections and exhibitions, the historic house where they are located, exchange shop, educational programs, publishing historically important material, and outreach programs to engage the local community.
The Society seeks to provide insight into and knowledge of the region’s impressive heritage and is a fine resource that encourages and assists individuals, private organizations and agencies, and the public sector that are committed to the preservation of the area’s historic past.
In 1664, on June 10, the land where Brookhaven Hamlet and Bellport Village are located was bought from the Unkechogue Indian Tribe. In 1681, Brookhaven Hamlet was settled first to be followed by the establishment of Bellport Village in the early 19th century, around 1820. Within Brookhaven Town, Brookhaven Hamlet is far a large part a designated “historic district”.
In 1980, on July 4, more than 80 historic structures in Bellport Village were added to America’s National Register of Historic Places and in 2001, Bellport Village founded the important Historic Preservation Commission that by now has designated four of the town’s districts as Historic within the village and right in the center of these historic districts, you can find The Museum Complex of the Historical Society
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society was established in 1958. The Society is governed by a board of trustees that has 17board members, and the Society has more than 400 members overall. The first president of the Society was Robert Halsey Pelletreau, born in 1935, who is a direct descendant Robert Peppetreau, one of the better-known silversmiths from the times of the American Revolutionary period. The Historical Society is always welcoming new members and much of the work depends on highly-respected contributions from volunteers who are, of courses, also always welcome.
Historical Society Exchange Shop
Visitors are welcome to come in and browse an impressive collection of interesting collectibles, fine antiques, and amazing historic artifacts that can be purchased at very reasonable prices.
Opening Hours (from Memorial Day Weekend until Mid-December):
Friday & Saturday: from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
Sunday: from Noon to 3:00 pm
Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society Exchange Shop
31 Bellport Lane, Bellport, NY 11713,
Phone: (631) 286-0888